Acne is no fun, no matter what age you are! Although most often associated with puberty, acne can affect us in our adult years. Even if you didn't have acne as a teen, it is possible to experience it as an adult. Although both sexes can suffer from adult acne, women are more likely to have this problem than men. Acne is a common skin disease, estimated to affect one in five women between the ages of 25 and 40. Incorporating sensitive face skin care into your routine is especially important. If you have sensitive skin, the right acne prone skin care products will make a major difference for you towards clear, healthy skin.
In adults, hormonal fluctuations are the number one cause of the appearance of acne. The second most common cause is not taking proper care of your skin. The proper sensitive skin daily routine can help prevent breakouts. Acne occurs when overactive oil glands cause dirt to become trapped in our pores, and the pores become clogged. Stress, PMS, pregnancy, and diet can cause our hormones to get out of balance and cause a flare up.
People who have sensitive skin can suffer with patches of uncomfortable red, itchy, flaky skin as well as acne breakouts, as a result of weather or using skin care products that irritate the condition. For some, sensitive skin can be the result of an allergy, but if that is not the case, the cause could very well be either environmental conditions, a change in skin care products or routine, or spa procedures like facials, micro-dermabrasion, or chemical peels. Oil build-up on your skin exacerbates these causes and your skin breakouts.
If acne or sensitive skin is part of your heredity, there may not be much you can do to avoid experiencing either one. A first step in treating and managing adult acne should be to seek advice from your doctor to see if you have an infection that can be treated with antibiotics. If it does not irritate your skin, azelaic acid cream can be used to treat mild to moderate acne, as it stops harmful skin bacteria from multiplying. If you have sensitive skin, however, be aware that the side effects can include itching, burning, stinging, and tingling.
Below are some adult acne skin care tips for dealing with acne and sensitive skin that may help you cope with the symptoms of both:
- Remember for oily skin, to use a gentle cleanser for your skin type and wash your face every night before bed and again in the morning. Choose a cleanser or face wash that is free of soap and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS). The ingredients are harsh and can lead to further dryness and irritation. This may cause your skin to produce more oil.
- Clogged pores can cause irritation, inflammation, and break outs. Use a alcohol-free toner to clean the pores and balance the pH of your skin.
- Avoid cleansers or face lotions with fragrance, alcohol, beta hydroxy acids, parabens, formaldehyde, salicylic acid, witch hazel, propylene glycol, plant extracts, menthol,essential oils including lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus and camphor, and antimicrobial ingredients. These are all harsh and irritating for sensitive skin.
- Use warm, not hot, water to wash your face, and do not use scrubs, loofas, or washcloths on sensitive skin. Pat, don’t rub, your face to dry it, and moisturize within three minutes of washing your face, when your skin is still damp, to get the maximum benefit from your moisturizer.
- It's always best to choose a fragrance free, hypoallergenic oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin.
- A low glycemic diet can help prevent adult acne flare ups caused by the over-production of oil and release of male hormones into your blood stream. Reducing dairy may also be helpful, as milk is naturally high in growth hormones, which may stimulate the oil glands and increase the chance of acne flare ups.
- To aid in reducing inflammation, the mineral zinc, found naturally in oysters, red meats, nuts, beans, and whole grains, can be helpful.
- Develop a daily skin care routine that includes the right products for your skin type. Use an effective, gentle adult acne skin care system for oily or combination skin that is free of irritating ingredients and harsh chemicals that can further dry your skin.
At Cleure, we believe your skin deserves the best, and that learning which products to use and which ingredients to avoid is vital to achieve your best, healthiest skin. That’s why we put so much care into every one of our skin care products, and why we are the #1 dermatologist recommended brand of skin care products. Visit our help page to learn more, or contact us with any questions you may have about the care and treatment of adult acne or sensitive skin.