If you have large pores on your face, you may have searched in vain for a solution to this common problem. In a recent Harris poll sponsored by L'Oreal™, 23 percent of women surveyed said they would even give up their favorite cocktails for an entire year if it meant having smaller pores! We won't make you give up your happy hour to save face, but we do have six pore minimizing beauty solutions you've been waiting for, and some great suggestions for both skin care and makeup products that won't clog your pores.
What are Large Pores on Your Face?
Your skin may have hair follicles housed in small openings. These openings allow perspiration and toxins to leave the skin. However, they often get clogged by debris and oil, called sebum which can lead to unsightly large pores and breakouts.
Cause of Pores on Your Face
Oily skin, aging skin and not taking care of your skin with the proper routine, can cause clogged pores. Large pores may also be genetic and passed down through heredity. If you try to hide large pores with irritating makeup, this can lead to further clogged pores and problem skin, such as blackheads.
How to Prevent Large Pores
If you were born with a certain type of genes with large pores, it would be difficult to totally get rid of them. You can minimize and shrink their appearance using the tips below. You do have to be diligent with your proper daily skin care routine. If you don't practice proper skin care prevention, excess oil will build up, making the large pores appear even larger.
How to Shrink, Minimize and Close Pores
1. One of the first steps to minimizing those pores is keeping them clean. Clogged pores and acne can be caused by having oily skin that's not kept clean. Cleaning your face properly and with the right cleanser is crucial to minimizing pores. Some cleansers may contain ingredients that are not compatible to those with oily and sensitive skin. Cleure's Oily Sensitive Skin face and body wash is free of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and gentle while cleaning effectively. SLS is a harsh detergent that may further irritate sensitive skin. You'll need a gentle cleanser formulated to clean away dirt and makeup and keep your pores feeling fresh, without aggravating sensitive skin. Remember, it is vital that you to always clean makeup and daily dirt off your face before shutting down for the night, so that your face is clean as you sleep. Leaving makeup on your face overnight is not healthy for your skin, and can leave you with clogged pores in the morning, which could lead to acne or blackhead breakouts.
2. After cleansing, using an alcohol free toner with alpha hydroxy acid helps close up those fresh, clean pores and restores your skin to the correct pH level, helping you maintain a healthy, youthful appearance. Although alcohol and witch hazel are popular ingredients in most commercial toners, these can over dry the skin, making it feel tight and itchy. Cleure natural, alcohol free facial toner with alpha hydroxy acid for sensitive skin does not contain these harsh ingredients, and gently removes excess oil and minimizes or closes pores.
3. Exfoliating your face regularly, helps remove dead skin cells on the surface of your skin. As dead cells accumulate, it makes sense that they also further clog pores leaving your skin to look dull and unhealthy. A gentle exfoliating scrub can be applied at your convenience as often as necessary to gently remove these dead skin cells, allowing new, healthy skin cells to take their place. As a bonus, adding this step to your regular home beauty routine can save you the expense and hassle of going to a spa for a facial treatment.
4. A refining facial mask formulated for your sensitive skin is another great element to add to your skin care routine and help reduce your pores. Cleure Facial Mask for Sensitive Skin, formulated with a blend of kaolin clay, dead sea mud, and MFA Complex (natural fruit acids similar to AHA), boosts your skin's resilience, helps reduce the appearance of pores, deep cleans, dissolves impurities and leaves your skin perfectly refined and smooth. This kaolin clay mask is perfect for women of any age or skin type, including oily, dry, sensitive, acne prone, normal, and aging skin.
5. Moisturizing your skin is a daily must for all skin types, including oily skin, but is especially true for dry, sensitive skin. To minimize pores, you need a moisturizer that hydrates your skin, restoring necessary moisture, but does not clog your pores. Cleure Day Cream or Oil-Free Facial Lotion for sensitive skin is such a product; since it is non-comedogenic, it will keep your skin moist without clogging your pores. Formulated with your particular skin type in mind, the Day Cream with shea butter and enriched with vitamins, works well for sensitive dry/combination skin. While the Oil-Free Facial Lotion is best for oily skin.
6. Once your skin is freshly cleansed and moisturized for the day, you want to be sure the makeup you apply to your face is also friendly to your pores, and won't clog them. Some makeup artists recommend using a cream or oil-free liquid foundation with a brush, and tapping it over the areas with large pores. This fills in the pores, causing them to appear small or invisible. A finishing powder with cosmetic rice powder, such as Cleure Rice Veil is excellent to help minimize oil on your skin and help shrink the appearance of facial pores.
For cover-up foundation Cleure Loose Mineral Foundation is good for your skin and can be used for foundation or concealer.