Fragrances and certain ingredients in certain makeup brands have been reported to be irritating, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Living with sensitive skin can be challenging since new makeup or even your usual makeup, can end up causing breakout, rash or some sort of skin flare-up. Many dermatologists recommend mineral makeup for sensitive skin for their patients with allergy prone or sensitive skin.
Why Mineral Powder is Recommended by Dermatologists
Simply put, mineral makeup has few ingredients which makes it easier not to experience skin flare-ups. But there are other benefits:
- When applied correctly, it looks natural.
- If it's free of added dyes, fragrance, mineral oil, parabens and other ingredients, such as mica, it can be good for your skin.
- Mineral makeup contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These ingredients are physical sun blocks which means they can provide some sun protection. This is sufficient for during the day protection when you aren't exposed to direct sun for long periods.
- Zinc oxide has anti-inflammatory properties (WebMD). This can calm skin that's already irritated.
- Some are concerned about the particle size of the minerals being micronized as ultra-small and possibly causing harmful reactions as they are absorbed. Experts report this is not the case, since mineral makeup is manufactured with non-nanoparticles or else they would be transparent and not be useful.
Bismuth oxychloride is another concern some bring up. This ingredients is mentioned as causing skin irritation and acne flare-ups. Although a small percentage, there are those who are allergic to bismuth oxychloride. Some brands of mineral makeup for sensitive skin have eliminated it from their makeup, such as Cleure.
How to Choose Sensitive Skin Mineral Makeup
- To find the best mineral cosmetics for sensitive skin, loose minerals have the fewest ingredients. The longer the list, the higher chance of an ingredient causing a reaction.
- Synthetic chemical dyes may also cause a reaction versus shades with iron oxides made from mineral pigments.
- Mineral makeup is also good for all skin types, even if you don't have sensitive skin. It won' clog pores and can even skin tone.
Loose mineral makeup absorbs oil and can help oily, acne prone skin.