Ingredients We Will Not Use:
NOTE: Cleure does not use nano-particle (related to size) zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, nor micronized (describes manufacturing process) zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Accidental by-products from ethoxylation (common ingredient processing), which are not declared on ingredient labels and are classified as possible carcinogens
- Any product with anti-bacterial ingredients, such as hydrogen peroxide, are irritating to sensitive skin. They may temporarity help, but studies report acne lesions may increase due to resistance of bacteria to the ingredients.
- Irritating thickeners, emulsifier added to many mineral makeup
- Natural ingredients, that may or may not be organic, and may be sprayed with pesticides or preserved with harsh chemicals not listed on labels. Most have side effects.
Chemical Sunscreens (Parsol 1789/Oxybenzone)
- Synthetic sunscreens that get absorbed and potentially disrupt hormone balance
- Often used in mineral makeup, may clog pores
- Synthetic stabilizers that can react with other ingredients in products and form nitrosamines, a known carcinogen
Essential oils/ herbal extracts
- Often sprayed with pesticides, may contain added, unlabeled preservatives, contain salicylates, can be potentially allergic producing with other side effects
- Potential effect of some preservatives degrading over time and releasing small amounts of formaldehyde, a known carcinogen
- Non-renewable byproducts with potentially dangerous impurities
- Cleure products do not contain any genetically modified ingredients.
- Protein part of wheat, rye and barley resulting in severe reactions for those with gluten sensitivity or intolerance
- Synthetic chemicals that potentially draw other chemicals into the bloodstream
- Used to eliminate brown spots, it can be irritating, especially to sensitive skin.
- Also known as nanotechnology, changing particle from original size to a much smaller size. Reports indicate nanoparticles of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide remain on the surface of the skin, and there is no risk of them being absorbed into skin. However, we choose not to formulate our sunscreen with nanoparticle size for titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. All Cleure Mineral Powders are also made without nano-particle sizes. Cleure does not use nano-particle (related to size) zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, nor micronized (describes manufacturing process) zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Synthetic preservatives that are potential toxins and endocrine disrupters
PEGs or PPGs
- Synthetic ingredients processed with ethylene oxide, a toxic residual impurity
- Synthetic chemicals found in nail polish, fragrance components and other products, that are potential toxins
- Produced in plants to ward off infection or fungal disease, it's a common anti-inflammatory component of aspirin types of pain relieve medicine, skin care, personal care and makeup products; as beta hydroxy acid (BHA), used as exfoliant and acne; dries the skin and can be irritating and allergy producing
Sulfates (Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate)
- Synthetic detergent/foaming chemical that potentially dries the tissues and may damage the lipid layer of your skin
- Abrasive, anti-caking agent
- Alpha hydroxy acid made from lactic acid helps damaged skin, also alled lactic acid; Cleure uses lactic alpha hydroxy acid
- Represents natural and synthetic ingredients that fight free radicals that cause damage to the skin and result in premature aging.
- Form of vitamin C that has antioxidant properties, and skin conditioning
- In the right percentage in toothpaste, it is the least abrasive ingredient for removing stains and cleaning teeth. Helps dissolve stains in enamel (outer surface of tooth).
Betaine is a
chemical that is derived from the processing of coconut oil and dimethylaminopropylamine. It is a surfactant and has the ability to reduce irritation. It is salicylate free.
- Refers to sunscreen that protects skin from both UVA and UVB rays from the sun.
- Salicylate free wax derived from leaves of Candelilla shrub. Used as emollient and emulsion stabilizer.
- Emollient and thickening agent
- Skin conditioning agent, humectant
- Gel forming agent, controls viscosity
- Fatty alcohol used as emollient, emulsifier and thickener
- Skin conditioning agent, synthetic silicone based ingredient rated safe by EWG Skin Deep
- Butter extracted from cocoa beans, used as an emolient
- Anti-irritant, antioxidant, fat-soluble substance present in human cells, shown to help heart health
Dead sea minerals
- Excellent for problem skin, such as psoriasis
- Surfactant commonly used in shampoos and body washes
- Skin conditioning agent, emollient, skin protecting
Disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate
- Surfactant, foam booster, rated safe by EWG Skin Deep
- Studies show it is a good emollient to help heal dry skin
- Color additive that has been shown to be safe and is FDA approved for use in foods, drugs.
- Helps prevent dryness or scaling because of its ability to attract water to increase the amount of water in the surface layers of skin. Has skin repairing ability. Derived from non-GMO corn.
- Surfactant, emulsifying agent
- Can boost hydration and moisture of skin to help prevent dryness and aging.
- Used as colorings in cosmetics, derived from iron
- Solvent that helps prevent loss of water from skin, and gives a weightless feel of products on skin
- Binding agent, skin conditioning, solvent
- Natural clay mineral used to absorbe toxins from the skin
- Conditioning agent for skin or hair, cleansing agent, foam booster
- Rated safe by EWG's Skin Deep, this earth mineral included in mineral powder makeup as colorant, sparkle and shine, also functions as opacifying agent, reducing the appearance of pores and wrinkles; aids in oil control, translucent, silky to the touch, reflects light
Mixed fruit acids
- Similar to AHA and glycolic acid to help with anti aging
- Has anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory affects on skin
- Surfactant, cleansing agent, emulsifying agent
- Preservative that is considered one of the less irritating ones, used in skin care and cosmetics
- Inorganic salt used as pH adjuster and buffering agent
- Emollient to help soften skin; rich source of antioxidants
- This preservative is effective and rated safe by EWG Skin Deep
Sodium lauryl succinate
- Gentle cleansing agent, surfactant - foam booster, made of vegetable derived amino acids
Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate
- Gentle cleansing agent, surfactant - foam booster, derived from breakdown of amino acid creatine or caffeine. This fatty acid imparts solubility to product.
- Surfactant, cleansing agent
Sodium palm kernelate
- Cleansing agent, surfactant, emulsifying agent
- Sugar alcohol used as thickener
- Naturally occurring fatty acid used as emulsifying agent
- Earth mineral used as thickening, whitening, and sunscreen ingredient, used with non-nano-particle size in Cleure products; The FDA lists Titanium Dioxide as one of the purest and most effective ingredients for sun protection
- Vitamin E acetate (gluten free), antioxidant
- Inorganic pigments of various colors
- In chewing gum, helps promote saliva and prevents tooth decay, similar studies are being conducted to prove the same results in toothpaste with xylitol