Acne Prone Skin Care
Acne lesions are annoying, persistent and certainly do not boost our self confidence. Although they crop up mostly during the teen years, acne can affect people of all ages. What is most distressing is the acne scars they may leave behind on your skin. Acne can appear on your face, or anywhere on your skin, such as the back.
Causes of Adult Acne
Poor diet, stress, hormonal changes, skin care products that clog pores or do not clean adequately, and irritating ingredients, are some of the causes for acne break out. Although the underlying problem may be one of the reasons listed above, the bottom line for the cause of acne skin is three factors:
- Excessive oil on the skin
- Buildup of dead skin cells, clogging pores and resulting in irritation
- Accumulation of bacteria
The skin is the largest organ and it needs certain nutrients to maintain health just like any other organ in your body. Absorbing into your skin unhealthy, irritating ingredients, results in unhealthy problem skin.
Adult Acne Care Products
If over the counter (OTC) products have not worked, your doctor may prescribe drugs. Usually the medication is a topical antibiotic to kill bacteria. Strong adult acne products such as lotions may also be prescribed to promote sloughing of dead skin cells. These prescription topical treatments for acne skin may cause side effects, such as burning, redness or peeling, especially if you have oily sensitive skin. To minimize these effects, your doctor may recommend decreasing the dosage or only leaving the medication on your skin for short durations of time.
For more severe acne, you may be prescribed antibiotics to take orally. This may be a problem if taken for long periods, since it may result in antibiotic resistant bacteria. You may even be required to take these antibiotics for three to four months in combination with topical lotions, to see results. There are other forms of therapy including laser and light therapy or oral contraceptives, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and even skin surgery, all of which may have their own sets of side effects.
Over the Counter Sensitive Skin & Adult Acne Products
Over the counter brands use certain active ingredients to treat acne:
4 Easy Steps to Acne Free Skin
- Benzoyl peroxide - Helps remove excess oils from skin and dead skin cells that clog pores. Can cause excessive dryness, redness, stinging, and scaling of skin, , especially if you have oily sensitive skin. It is a bleach and can affect hair and bleach clothing on contact.
- Salicylic acid - Slows shedding of cells that clog pores and reduces inflammation. Can cause stinging and skin irritation. There are increasing reports of salicylic acid, or salicylate sensitivity.
- Alpha hydroxy acid - These are fruit acids that help remove dead skin cells and help reduce inflammation. Also helps stimulate growth of new, smoother skin to help reduce acne scars.
- Sulfur - This active ingredient has an unpleasant odor and is used to remove dead skin cells and excess oil.
- Abrasive soaps - You don't need to wash hard to remove dirt from your skin. In fact, abrasive soaps and cleansers may irritate your skin, more than help clear acne.
Looking at alternatives, herbal treatments have been recommended through home skin remedies. These are time consuming to make and take a long time for results, if they work at all. Most of us want what is simple and fast, often not even considering side effects. With herbal or natural ingredients, you will not know the side effects. With prescription medications side effects are listed. If a product indicates not to use it when you're pregnant or breast feeding, or lists any other potential side effects, you may want to consider alternative treatments.
Now that we realize the three factors that contribute to acne skin (excessive oil, dead skin cells, bacteria), it is easy to see why Cleure Sensitive Skin & Adult Acne Care Products are the clear choice.
Cleure Customer Feedback
- Cleanser - pH balanced to clean your skin without dryness or irritation. Keeps moisture in your skin as it removes dirt, makeup and impurities. FREE of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and fragrance. Ideal for oily sensitive skin.
- Toner - Alcohol free, with alpha hydroxy acid, which studies report helps remove dead skin cells and helps reduce inflammation. This fruit acid derived ingredient is also known to help stimulate growth of new, smoother kin, and therefore helps reduce acne scars.
- Exfoliating Scrub - Used once a week or as needed, with fine pumice, helps gently to remove dead skin cells and clean pores.
- Refining Mask - With mildly disinfecting kaolin clay to benefit oily sensitive skin and dead sea mud to add natural minerals to your skin. Leaves your skin replenished and silky smooth.
- Day Cream - The right moisturizer for acne prone skin is crucial. Cleure Day Cream with shea butter and anti-oxidants will not clog pores, but hydrates and protects for healthy skin.
- Loose Mineral Foundation - Free of talc, bismouth oxychloride, corn starch and other irritants, applied to acne skin, helps conceal and dry lesions. The best foundation for acne prone skin.
- Rice Veil - The final step for acne skin luxury. Cleure Rice Veil, naturally absorbs oil from the skin, keeping the skin free of shine. Also helps decrease fine lines and keep makeup lasting longer. All Cleure Skin Care Products are made in the U.S.A.
When I first heard about Cleure, I was skeptical. I used to use a brand I bought from an infomercial. But it helped temporarily and it made my skin dry and scaly. When I tried Cleure (I was told to totally use the products only, and not mix with other brands) for two weeks, I was shocked at how clear my skin got. I'm a believer and tell everyone about the products. They're easy to use and no side effects! They use my before and after photos on their website. Thank you Cleure for great products. Jessica, Camarillo, CA
As a makeup artist, I need high quality skin care before applying makeup. I can totally depend on Cleure skin care to help my client’s skin with radiant, beautiful results with each makeup makeover. Debbie, Los Angeles
Read Health Articles by Dr. Flora Stay