Advise on Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
The best sunscreen for sensitive skin should be non comedogenic, and include sunscreen ingredients that are natural, with safe UVA and UVB sun block.
All skin types should use sunscreen for sensitive skin. Sunscreen is important for all of us sun lovers who enjoy basking in it. However, there are reports about the safety of some sunscreen ingredients, even natural sunscreen. From this article you'll learn how to find the
best sunscreens for sensitive skin, including non comedogenic sunscreen, so as not to clog pores.
Sunscreens are a billion dollar per year industry. Reports indicate skin cancer is rising by 159 percent (source: Environmental Working Group) a year. According to EWG senior researcher Sonya Lunder, many of the sunscreen products are over-hyped. EWG tested nearly 1,100 sunscreens and found the majority were less effective than they claimed.
Shop Sunscreen for Sensitive Skin
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's cancer division epidemiologist, Mona Saraiya, says those with 'broad spectrum' claim, may be the most problematic. These products are not clear on how much protection they provide.
Oxybenzone, and UVA vs UVB
Most people see UVA and UVB on labels, but what is UVA and UVB and what is the difference between UVA vs UVB? The UVA (ultraviolet A) penetrates the skin, causing wrinkles and other skin damage, while UVB (ultraviolet B) causes sunburns. Scientists used to report damage only with UVB and cancer, but now suspect UVA as well. UVA has also been called the aging rays, while UVB rays are the sun's burning rays. The SPF (sun protection factor) number let you know how much protection you'll get. For example, if you would normally get a sunburn in 10 minutes, an SPF 15 extends that by 15 times. So you could last 150 minutes without burning. From recent studies, more than SPF 30 is not needed.
In 2009, a study by Center for Disease Control found the common UVA blocker oxybenzone in the urine of 2,500 people who regularly used sunscreens. Oxybenzone has been reported to have hormone-like activity and is not recommended by EWG.
After testing 1,000 brands of sunscreen, EWG found many with potentially toxic ingredients, including oxybenzone.
Natural Sunblock and Safe Sunscreen Ingredients
The best recommended ingredient for sun protection is zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These two ingredients protect against both UVA and UVB. They are also the two important ingredients in natural sunblocks.
Sunscreen is more transparent when applied. Unless it lists zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as ingredients, it will not act as a sunblock.
How to Protect Yourself in Summer or Winter
FDA Allowable Ingredients in Sunscreens, and Results for Safety
- Keep sunscreen and lip balm with you at all time, in your care and purse.
- Use a natural sunscreen preferably zinc oxide sunscreen.
- Keep a broad-rimmed hat in your car and wear it during sun exposure, especially between the hours of 10 AM and 3 PM, when ultraviolet rays are strongest.
- Lotion sunscreens are not water proof, but may be water resistant. Re-apply since they do wear off.
- Children have sensitive, delicate skin and should especially be protected with proper clothing to cover sun exposed areas. Baby sunscreen brands are available.
- Wear sunglasses to help prevent damage like cataracts or vision loss at older age.
- Your lips also need sun cream. Protect your lips with natural lip balm with shea butter.
- Shea butter benefits include sunscreen.
- Apply sunscreen approximately 30 minutes before exposure.
- Make sure to apply to face, hands, neck, ears, hands and arms.
Cleure Natural Sunscreen - Your Clear Choice in Best Sunscreen
- Padimate O - not supported by European Union (EU), may be delisted by FDA.
- p-Aminobenzoic Acid (PABA) - shown to increase DNA defects.
- Cinoxate - not tested for safety
- Dioxybenzone - not tested for safety
- Oxybenzone - not tested for safety
- Homosalate - not tested for safety
- Menthyl Anthranilate - not tested for safety
- Octocrylene - increases reactive oxygen in skin, advancing aging.
- Octyl Salicylate - not tested for safety
- Trolamine salicylate - not tested for safety
- Zinc Oxide - protects skin against tumors in mice
Salicylate free, hypoallergenic, fragrance free
Sunscreen sunblock with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
Does not leave white film on skin
For all ages, including as baby sunscreen
Best sunscreen for face and body
Made in the USA
No animal testing
Available in Regular and Travel Size
Help for Sensitive Skin:
Sensitive Skin Care Products
Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Care for Sensitive Skin
Sensitive Skin Cleanser and Toner
Sensitive Skin Treatment
Sensitive Skin Repair
Sensitive Skin Mask
Sensitive Skin Acne Care
Sensitive Skin Care
Sensitive Skin Hair & Body Care
Sensitive Skin Makeup Tips